Sunday, October 26, 2008

No point starting a blog and leaving it empty

Like many of the other blogs in this project my first post will be an introduction to me. I have just finished M450 which was a grueling experience. I thought that as soon as I finish the project and wait to hear whether I achieved the BSc (Hons) I was going for that I would take a break from the OU. Already though my brains has developed an I can't scratch. I find myself looking at the prospectus of courses and thinking what if?

Fortunately I have just been tossed a temporary lifeline. I received an email about the mass writing project, somehow I had missed the article in sesame. Immediately I thought I am interested in this. I have always had dreams of writing, for the last 18 years I have been writing 3 different books in my head, occasionally I put some of paper, but the stories don't flow the same way.

Last year I started writing an open source book on C++ programming which is half finished and was put on hold since it took time from M450. Maybe soon I will get back to it. So this project immediately appealed to me I have a lot of experience with C++ and object oriented programming through this. My Java is more limited, I have used it during a couple of courses but somehow I can't get the same feel with it as C++.

I have looked at the Processing ide and already I am amazed by the power in such an unassuming package, I hadn't even heard of it before, but it takes me back to programming in basic, a couple of lines of code and you can get something up on screen. Even better you can then export this to embed in a web page. I am going to enjoy playing with this.

Already I have written more then I expected, I hope it is this easy for the project itself.

1 comment:

Antony said...

Hi, I've been trying to contact you about the Processing book that I'm going to attempt to publish, but I probably have an out-of-date email address for you. Could you contact me please? antonylees@gmail.com
Cheers :)